Scottish Borders Council has been awarded £598,000 to deliver the STEPS project, a five-year initiative to address housing and emotional needs of people affected by domestic abuse and their families.
The money comes from the Becoming a Survivor programme from the Big Lottery Fund and aims to give greater access to support services for women, men and families who have lived through domestic abuse. The funding will be used for:
- installing home security measures
- providing emergency pet accommodation
- specialist housing advice
- advocacy for victims and their families to enable them to stay in their own homes.
- an intensive outreach advocacy to help victims considered the ‘hardest to reach’.